From Ojet’s Lecheng Maja Blanca to Lecheng Inutak, The Grocer by OLM now offers authentic Puto Bumbong just in time for the start of the Christmas season. Yes, Christmas starts early in the Philippines making it one of the longest Christmas seasons in the world.
I mean come on, who wouldn’t get excited in counting down 100 days before Christmas? With what’s happening in 2020, I believe you need something great to look forward.
The question now is, are you ready to taste Christmas? You see, Puto Bumbong is a Filipino purple rice cake steamed in bamboo tubes traditionally sold during the Christmas season. But since we need to stay home, let me share with you a great solution.
Do you remember Ojet’s Lecheng Maja and Lecheng Inutak I featured a while back? Well, they now offer Lecheng Puto Bumbong. Their version is authentic and they use bumbong ng kawayan to make the rice cakes.
They offer three variants:
- Original Buttered Puto Bumbong topped with Mixed Roasted Sesame Seeds, Muscovado Sugar and Grated Fresh Coconut (PHP 75)
- Lecheng Buttered Puto Bumbong Puti topped with Mixed Roasted Sesame Seeds, Muscovado Sugar and Grated Cheese and Fresh Coconut with Manga-Langka Cream Dip on the side (PHP 85)
- Lecheng Buttered Puto Bumbong Ube topped with Mixed Roasted Sesame, Muscovado Sugar and Grated Fresh Coconut with Salted Caramel Creamcheese Dip (PHP 85)
Extra Toppings @ Php 20.00
- Salted Caramel Creamcheese Dip
- Buttered Mango-Langka Dip
- Grated Fresh Coconut
- Mixed Roasted Sesame Seeds and Muscovado Sugar
I got to try their Original Buttered Puto Bumbong and Lecheng Buttered Puto Bumbong Ube.
I topped both with the Mixed Roasted Sesame Seeds, Muscovado Sugar and Grated Fresh Coconut then drizzled the Salted Caramel Creamcheese Dip. Let me tell you, the flavours work well. It’s great that they used muscovado sugar and mixed in some roasted sesame seeds. It added more flavour and texture. Speaking of which, their Puto Bumbong is soft and chewy. Every bite was a great experience.
Besides that, the Salted Caramel Creamcheese Dip was a surprise. It was my first time to encounter a dip for Puto Bumbong because traditionally it’s just butter, grated coconut and sugar. But the Salted Caramel Creamcheese Dip was delicious.
Don’t worry. The overall taste wasn’t too sweet. There’s balance.
Would you like to try it out? You can give them a call at 09394741234, 09209207874 or message them on Facebook. It’s The Grocer.
Happy eating and always support your local.